Sunday, January 17, 2010

Earthquake Victims

Today I am inspired by a family that I know (and L-O-V-E) whose kids ran to their piggy banks to see how much they had to send help our brothers and sisters suffering in Haiti.

What if we all, just for a time, became that childlike?
What if we all put thought behind us and just acted with our best intentions and the best we had to give?
What if we didn't care who
it was that was hurting, just that someone was hurting?
What if we could live and love without abandon like children do?

All I have to say today is that I think that we as Americans can skip the Starbucks for just one day and send the 5 bucks to where it's really needed.
Think of your email contacts.
Think of your facebook friend list.
Who follows you on Twitter?

I don't mean to be preachy but....think if each one of those sent just 5 bucks....

Well....enough said.

Me personally, I am sending Piles of Love, White Light Energy to the Haitians and some cash to organizations already in place. There's no need to reinvent the wheel, just lend a hand to those with the wheel.

The following organizations are already organized and helping.

American Red Cross --- redcross.org
Doctors Without Borders ---doctorswithoutborders.org
UNICEF-USA --- unicefusa.org
Mercy Corps --- donate.mercycorps.org

I am not very technologically savvy so please excuse the lack of links and feel free to offer me instruction!!

Be well.
Be blessed.
Be loved.
Be grateful.
God bless us all.

2 comments:

  1. great point Michelle, I think most of us can easily give up at least the cost of a cup of coffee. not a Starbucks regular, but non the less did give at church this morning! UMCOR.org is another well established relief agency who was already in Haiti (sadly at least 2 of the executives were killed in the earthquake as they were there for mission work even before the quake hit).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Haiti with the Army in 1994. Saw the sadness up close and personal. Recently heard that things were starting to improve. Of course, we all know that it would have been several generations for real improvement, but you've gotta start somewhere. Was very sad that the earthquake happened... But realized that I was in a place in my life to not have to decide whether or not I could donate, but just had to figure out how much to donate. That, my friend, was a blessing for me.

    ReplyDelete